Friday, February 8, 2008

"You Should Like Chickens"

I don't know how it happened. The conversation started innocently enough over gumbo. I had a coke in my hand at the beginning, but by the night's end, I was drinking diet coke.

I hate diet soda. It makes me thirsty. Of this I was reminded.

Pat and I decided we would be a lot faster on our bikes if we were 15 lbs lighter, 2 months from now. She's going to stop having margaritas every night, and I'm going to stop consuming refined sugar (my main dietary vice), except during very strenuous exercise (to prevent bonking), and possibly up to 30 minutes following (like a post-workout recovery chocolate milk), and maybe also when my moon is in Venus. We're going to check in weekly on our progress. It'll be an interesting experiment (kinda like the time I turned into a never-sated fat vegetarian one year - I fell off the wagon on Thanksgiving).

Technically, ketchup is in the "don't" column. Oh god. I found some refined-sugar-free tahini cookies at Arizmendi though, so things aren't looking totally hopeless.

OK, moving on to livestock. I'm helping my BFF find an apartment in the East Bay. One of my favorite things, like, EVAR, is to search for East Bay apartments on Craigslist. I'm really good at it. I can help you too. It's a gift.

Here's one I found today. I had to send it to BFF because it made me laugh:

$1400 north berkeley 1 bedroom cottage COMING SOON (berkeley north / hills)

One bedroom apartment in beautiful area of North Berkeley
Near gourmet ghetto, shop, transportation,
Free standing unit, not attached to any other unit
Quite private
Ideal for students, couples
One year lease
Beautiful chickens in property- you should like chickens
Available March 1st
No pets, no exception please do not ask
No smoking please
Drop me a line

To me it reads "If you don't like chickens..well...you really should."

2 comments:

Sammyl69 said...

I lost 20 pounds switching from regular sodas to diet! I guess I drank a lot of sodas.

Concerning the chicken apartment, can you bring your own chicken as a pet or food source?
Steve

Laura said...

No pets! Hullo!

Wow. Like how many sodas? I drink a lot of chocolate milk.