Thursday, February 21, 2008

Laura the Dualist

My brother is a real live published poet. He's won international writing competitions, and he's been flown to Australia to receive awards. He's got a book deal. He is this battered cyclist's conduit to Homer's nous, to the realm of the intellect.

He recently emailed me a haiku. Someone had sent it to him, and he thought of me:

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Of course he thought of me! It's only the best haiku ever!

I shared it with my BFF, who responded in kind:
I am writing you
tainted beef recall haiku
veggie up suckas
(he followed that with a
New York Times editorial, "The Biggest Beef Recall Ever")

Okiedoke. Glad that "being mental" stuff is out of the way. Time to hit the gym!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura's got some nous
She could pen lines ending with
refrigerator

But...

Elmo doesn't know
Pedals on a bike...ONE...TWO
No time for oatmeal

Laura said...

There's time for instant oatmeal (if you have a hotpot). There's just no time for homemade steel-cut sit-down restaurant oatmeal when everyone's waiting for you at the start (refrigerator).

Unknown said...

My new CFHF (current favorite honku forever):

Oh, Jeezus Chrysler
what's all the damned honking Ford?
please shut the truck up!


(Honku = haiku about honking, driving, etc. It
started in Brooklyn.)

Lawasized extra:

Oh, Jeezus Penis!
I have to blog AND edit!?!?
It is TRES nap-time

Pam & Steve Johanson said...

flapjack and butticks
driving down to florida
fresh squeezed orange juice

Anonymous said...

I liked the "refrigerator part"

Laura said...

Yeah, me too Hal. Guess who wrote the refrigerator haiku?! Mr. Cabinet!