Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Good Weekend

It started off poorly. I couldn't get my dumb pedals off my dumb bike on Friday night, even with my nifty new pedal wrench. And I needed them to head down to a track clinic super early the next morning at the Hellyer Velodrome (you can rent a track bike, but it's BYOP). And of course I waited until the last minute, after all the bike shops had closed. On top of that I was feeling particularly flu-ish (I'd gotten sick again that week! Second time this season!). And I was supposed to give Carol a ride. And then Mel called: "Where are you guys?!" Ugh.

I just chilled out on Saturday, had a nice nap, did some very light lifting at the gym, basked in the absolutely beautiful day, and then headed to the laundramat so I could do my 3 loads of laundry all at once. I saw the bike shop guy there! When I expressed my pedal frustration, he got all excited that I was going to try the track (his discipline!), and he told me to just bring my bike in and he'd have my pedals off in a jiffy. Hopefully he can show me how to do it myself, because I can't have an un-road-ride-able road bike! GOSH!

Then I had sushi with Marlic and Scott. Scott says it's "strong beer month" at 21st Amendment and Magnolia (2 microbreweries) in the city! I love it! He's agreed to go back with me next weekend so I can check it out. Thanks Scott! And Eric lent me a jump drive with a couple albums on it, because I was complaining about my old/stale music collection. So now I have the latest Spoon album (can we still say "album"?) on my ipod, and some Iron & Wine. Thanks Eric!

This morning, I did the Touchstone Runners group run in the Berkeley hills. I haven't been running lately, and my calves were hating me for the first 30 minutes (all uphill to Tilden park), but it eventually leveled off/went downhill for the second half of the run. It was beautiful, and the company was great. AND, we saw Markham as he passed us on his bike, and then we saw Fred and Becky as they rode by on their bikes! Wendy yelled at them to join us for breakfast (eggs/homefries) after our run, so they went home, showered, and showed up with just-baked scones that Becky had just thrown together! The best part? They contained maple syrup instead of refined sugar. Hah! And they were phenomenal (must've been the five sticks of butter).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that IS a good weekend. One that starts poorly and ends tres smashingly is the best of all, and then you slide right into effen Monday. Yay!

Did you make it to the Velodrome? Is there a place where you can ride a dessert bike thru gelatin called the Jellodrome? Mmmm, Jello. Too bad it's made of animal hooves.

YES! You can still call an album an album, and even call recordings "records"!

Oh my, eggs/homefries/and deep tissue maple baked magnetic scones! Yum!

Laura said...

"Magnetic scones"! I get it! You're gonna love the Becky massage. She'll only do the magnets if she REALLY likes you. But I'm confident you'll make it into the inner magnet circle.

Can I call my ipod a victrola?

Laura said...

Oh, and the velodrome is happening this Saturday. Yay!

Unknown said...

NO!!! Do not dub your ipod that!! It spleens me!

Anonymous said...

Yay beer!