Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Gastrointestinally speaking...

...it would behoove me to improve on my cornering skills. My HR monitor recorded an all-time (biking AND running) HR max on the POO ride tonight. I wasn't looking at my monitor at the time (poor vision/newbie bike handling abilities preclude such silliness), but I know exactly when it happened. I had just sprinted to catch the pack after slowing to round a corner, and just when I managed to grab the last person's wheel, I felt the strongest urge to hurl.

I'm also going to revisit the possibility of Lasik when I go to the optometrist next week. It would be so nice to be able to see stuff once in a while, when moving quickly, at night, 2 inches away from lots of other people who are also moving quickly, with only spandex between me and whatever. I've been told that I'm not a good Lasik candidate. Same for contacts. But maybe there have been developments? Hullo? My prescription glasses don't work well for cycling. Plus, glasses are such a pain. I broke a pair several few months ago, when I stepped on them (I didn't see them, because I didn't have my glasses on). None of the screws from the eyeglass repair kit would fit, so a co-worker patched them together for me with one of those tiny binder clips -- you know, the paper clips that resemble handbags for Barbie? I only wear this pair at home.

OK, I'm going to go sit on the nice warm floor (next to the couch) to watch TV for a spell before bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can wear corrective lenses in frames specifically designed for cycling. You have many options. "Rec Specs" are a great brand, in use for years, with many choices for cycling:
http://www.libertyoptical.com/products_main.asp

Another option is Rudy Project Rydons with optical inserts. http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/rydon.htm

Or there's Bolle Paroles with a prescription insert.

Or, corrective products that bikers rave about, but may cost you, are through Oakley.

For mild correction without unusual problems with astigmatism, etc., you can get glued-on corrective lenses from Oakley for their M-frames. Too much correction leads to too much curvature, which they can't handle. This is what Tyler Hamilton wears if you look at photos of him in races. They're quite expensive but totally bike-looking.

If that doesn't work, get some of the Oakley frames that can have custom lenses inserted. They do superb optics, and recently increased their ability to handle progressives, astigmatism, etc. They look good, work extremely well, and are made with a durability and sports orientation so they justify the outlay. Absolutely go to a full-line Oakley optician, not a bike store.

Anonymous said...

I should've sent you to this page for the Rudy Project rx inserts:
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/rxinsert.htm

There's also direct in frame lenses:http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/rxinframe.htm

and direct in frame interchangeables, for different tints:
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/rxinframe-int.htm

Laura said...

Damn. Guess I'm not the only blind cyclist out there. Thanks, G.