Monday, December 17, 2007

Quod erat demonstrandum.

I was told the other night that my blog posts can be somewhat incoherent*. Not in those exact words, but that was the basic gist.

*"lacking normal clarity or intelligibility in speech or thought" - Merriam-Webster Online

Well, I just came up with one word to describe the nature of my writing, when the original message was conveyed with several. Hah!

While we're not on the subject, I'd like to take this opportunity to say, once and for all, that it doesn't take an intellectual to be good at Scrabble. You don't have to know what the words mean, you just have to know how to spell them. And everyone knows that Scrabble is generally won or lost on 3-letter words and 2-letter words.

Ergo: asking the woman sitting in front of you at the movies what the end of "No Country for Old Men" meant, just because you noticed that she was playing Scrabble on her phone before the movie started, is not necessarily going to get you any closer to truth. It would have been different, had she been spotted reading a book entitled, say, Film and Allegory, or maybe What the End of "No Country for Old Men" Means. But who has time for books, when you're busy spelling out "ewe" on your phone?!

UPDATE: While we're not on another subject, Steve just sent me this photo that he took of me with my mom and dad over Thanksgiving. I had to cut my dad out of the photo because he was making a funny face. HAL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I take it you've won some Scrabble tournaments?

Unknown said...

That photo is tres cute, and your mom is adorable.

This isn't going on the Internet is it?

Anonymous said...

oops, I got deleted again.

I don't understand the sentence, "I just came up with one word to describe the nature of my writing, when the original message was conveyed with several." Do you mean that the "one word" to describe the nature of your writing is "Hah!", and that the original message was conveyed with several "Hah!"s, with the original message being that your blog posts can be somewhat incoherent? If that's the case, I still don't understand. :-)

Anonymous said...

Demsav,

Speaking of incoherent, your pseudonym is a complete non sequitur. It reeks of "free online English-Latin translator".