Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Have you eaten dinner tonight?"

said the checkout girl at Trader Joe's.

I'd made it there at 8:45 pm, just in the nick of time, after spinning 910 calories out of my body. It was my only chance to go. I was trying to be good, you know, get things done.

Immediate salivation surge. "No" I said, rapt as she bagged my two boxes of mochi. I had just spun 910 calories out of my body, after all. I really did try my best. I knew I had lettuce and an heirloom tomato in the fridge, so I'd gotten the rest of the makings for salad! I got low fat yogurt!**

"Oh. What are you going to have?"

How could she be so cruel? "Whatever's closest to my mouth when I get home."

But then I thought about what I was trying to accomplish here, and, once home, I set about making a salad.

Is there anything in the world more tragic than an unopened bag of soupy, once premium baby greens, and a once-succulent $5 heirloom tomato from Whole Foods now rotting in a plastic baggie, after you've just gone salad accessory shopping?

It wasn't at all fabulous. But at least I didn't eat the mochi*.

*Update: I had some mochi. Stay away from the Green Tea flavor. I know it seems like a good idea. But just trust me.
**Update #2: So...turns out it's high fat yogurt. Oops.

---

My BFF finally made it to spin tonight, after a long hiatus. Yay!!! He made things interesting, like when he asked me conversationally if I was hydrating, while I was at threshold and trying to force out instructions without hurling. And like when we were about 8 minutes through our second hill drill (this one was 18 minutes long) and I let on that we still had about 10 minutes left, and he yelled

"WHAT?!"

in a knee-jerk reaction kind of way, like I was completely insane. And everyone looked up, like maybe they should re-consider the drill. I sensed a mutiny. Classic Larry. Don't know why I thought it was Dave who'd said it, but I was at threshold again, and trying really hard to remember what minute we were on and not hurl.

The jury's out on Cuban hip-hop for Slow Frequency Revolutions, but I had to try it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think TJ checkout woman was checkin' you out. Soooooo, have you, like uh, had, you know, mmmmmm, DINNER, yet????

What a tragedy RE your soupy baby greens and extra-heirloom tomato.

Yeah, I couldn't get over how there could be 10 minutes left of a 6-minute drill. I had no idea you were at threshold. You were so cool about it. But I hadn't seen you hydrating. It be-hooves you to be-hydrate yourself. And it's be-coming.

Andrea said...

I swear you said the SFR drill was 15 minutes. I was like: "Why 10 more minutes, 15 minutes are over now!" (I concede, that sometimes I don't hear the right thing, though.) Also, where do you get the 18 minutes from. I think we did 8 of those 3 minute SFR repetitions. Doesn't that add up to 24?
Either way, it was great class.

Laura said...

This is a great data clump for my new, very scientific, long-term study:

Auditory Hallucinations Among Indoor Cycling Enthusiasts

on which I will be listed as first author in the Journal of Exercise Physiology and Stuff, illustrating that yeah, I'm a pretty big deal in the world of science, exercise, and data clumps.

I'm also working on a ground-breaking sister study:

Mathematical Challenges Among Indoor Cycling Instructors

which proves via infallible clinical protocol that 18 = 24 if the Orishas songs are still playing.