Thursday, May 1, 2008

Say it isn't so!

It took a couple weeks to get strong enough to take my bike to the shop after my crash. I got the news on Tuesday: Nicked frame and bent front fork. Under Giant's crash replacement program, they'll switch out my women's 2007 OCRC small frame and front fork with the men's TCR Advanced extra-small frame and fork (for $1440), but they won't switch them out with my exact bike's parts, because they don't have any. In the alternative, I can get the extra-small men's 2005 OCRC frame and fork for $765.

Hm. Carbon technology is so new as it is. Dunno if I should go back in time 2 whole years. And the TCR frame has a totally different geometry. Plus, the men's extra-small top tubes are actually a centimeter longer than the women's small.

I'm waiting to hear back on whether any of the bike damage is covered under my renters' insurance. They didn't sound optimistic, but I can't help thinking that it's a good sign they haven't called me back yet (I know: I'm setting myself up for disappointment).

I only broke my elbow! It didn't even require surgery! I was out of the cast after a week! My bike shouldn't be totalled. And I keep thinking that if I had just let it languish on the side of the road a little longer instead of busting my ass to find it with my already busted elbow, it might have been stolen. That's covered.

Aaaaaargh!

Well, I'm improving quickly. So quickly, in fact, that sometimes I forget my elbow's broken. I'll do things, like lean on something when I'm getting up, or straighten my arm without thinking, or turn a doorknob at normal speed, and I'll suddenly be reminded. But that's cool, because it means I'm healing, and besides, the yelps garner sympathy.

I hadn't anticipated not being able to floss, or put my hair back in a ponytail for over 2 weeks. What a pain. Random women in the gym locker room were very helpful with the hair, but I thought it would be awkward to ask them to hold one end of the floss. Sometimes stuff flies out, you know. Anyway, I can do all that now. Ponytail procedures are still painful, but less so every day.

I also have absolutely no tricep in my right arm. I try to flex with all my might, and there's nothing there. Amazing how quickly it goes. And how much you use your elbow when you flex your tricep.

2 comments:

Pam & Steve Johanson said...

Sorry to hear about the bike. Is it too let to let it get stolen? (I'm thinking yes since you've already tried the claim with your insurance.) Are you sure you need a women's specific design? I can't remember how tall you are. I tried all those WSD type bikes and none of them fit me right. They seem to be more for short _people_ rather than short women. Also, does it have to be a Giant frame? Since both frame and fork are toast, you could just look into other brands and move your components over. Just a thought. Good luck! --Pam

Laura said...

Thanks - yeah, it's a little late for stolen. RATS. I was told to be careful mixing brands, because the components need a pretty specific fit. I did like the way the women's specific design felt when I tried out some bikes a year ago. Then again, I was a new rider so I didn't have any basis for comparison. I'm 5'4", so I'm on the shortish side, and I have particularly short arms. I think I'm descended from a T-Rex.

*roar*

...or whatever noise is appropriate for a T-Rex...