Thursday, April 3, 2008

Kia Ora, Laura

I made it to Aukland! So did my bike, which is a relief. My brother always seems to have a lost luggage situation with his NZ flights. And how much would that suck, to have your bike lost by the airline on your way to a bike tour?!

So here I am, living in the future (it's April 4th here) at a free Internet station, waiting for my domestic flight to Queenstown to board.

My observations so far:
  • Female Air New Zealand flight attendants are tres fashionable and appear to be required to wear french knot hairstyles, like in the olden days. They do not wear tan shorts and button-down oxford shirts like on Southwest. They also smile quite a bit. But don't be fooled: They are not particularly accommodating when you ask for your own row so that you can properly recline during the flight in the standard to which you are accustomed. Probably because they already know that not being able to properly recline is the standard to which you are accustomed. But I took half a valium (thanks Paula!) and discovered a couple of new sleeping positions. I didn't know valium heightened one's creativity. Yay, drugs!
  • Customs agents find brand spanking new passports confusing. I was interrogated upon entry, and the agent eventually told me this was why. Good thing I was well-documented with a printed tour itinerary.
  • Cyclists at the airport were totally digging on my Iron Case bike box (thanks Lawrence!). One cyclist guy actually had his Orbea packed in a cardboard box! For shame!
  • Non-cyclists were totally fascinated by the bike case. I was being asked right and left what was in it. I told one lady that it contained my Barbie collection. She looked at me funny. Maybe they don't have Barbies in NZ?
  • They have Dunkin Donuts here. How did Dunkin Donuts totally skip the west coast and make it here?!
  • Larry! You were right!! The toilet really does flush counter-clockwise. I thought that was a myth.
Welp, I'm totally bogarting the Internet, so I'll leave it there. Onwards and upwards.I finally purchased a digital camera, right before I left for the airport. If I can figure out how it works, I shall eventually post some photos.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY, you made it!! Yay, your bike made it!! Yay, you're blogging!!

Interesting about ANZ flight attendants. I think you need to be friendlier to them. You may want to introduce them to friends at some point. Hullo!

Interesting about valium.

Oh, sweetie, they DO have Barbies in NZ. Only the Barbies they have are not dolls, they are barbecues. I do believe both Aussies and Kiwis refer to the barbecue as a barbie.

Looking forwards to photos!

Carol G said...

I luv your Barbie response! You must have really perplexed the woman. ;-)