Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Switch

I haven't been able to write anything lately because my computer is on the opposite side of the room from the air vent, where I've been spending all my time after getting my first PG&E bill following The Switch from puny space heater (which I'd been spending all my time sitting as close to as possible, switching positions every now and then) to central heat (which I'd been putting off using, knowing all too well how quickly things would spiral out of control). You see, I have central heat abuse issues. It all goes back to when I was a child.

Mom, I'm cold.
PUT ON A SWEATER.
But I can see my breath.
STOP BREATHING.

Plus, there's the issue of the leather couch. But, in the aftermath of The Bill, I've turned down the heat to a level requiring me to wear lots (i.e. more than one) of layers of clothing, and I still have cold feet, unless I'm (a.) wearing my down booties which are all the way down the cold hallway in my bedroom, or (b.) stationed right in front of the air vent, covering it with my feet.

So I'll quickly summarize the week's happenings:
1. I gave a branding presentation at work. I was tres nervous but it went really well. Yay!
2. I found out that my BFF got the job! He's moving to the East Bay! Yay!
3. I had a great ride (fruitstand) on Saturday but I didn't race on Sunday despite getting up early and riding to BART in the freezing cold, because when BART arrived in Fremont (right on time for a change), it had just rained, and the roads were drenched, and I was scared to race on a wet road, and plus it was even more freezing than when I left Oakland, even though Fremont is practically in Southern California! And by the time I got back, I'd missed the Touchstone Runners group run that I actually could have made it to if I hadn't wasted my time BARTing to rainy Fremont. But I went to brunch at Marc's after, which was fun, even though Courtenay wasn't there and she was supposed to be, and I informed Marc and Anita that I'm moving into their house because it's really amazing and I love it (they have leather couches, but I wasn't cold).
4.
I saw another tearjerker movie (The Savages) with my BFF, aka movie husband, who says I always drag him to tearjerkers and he ends up watching me cry. Which I found very interesting. Why do I always want to see sad movies? His theory was that I need a release because I'm such a happy person. And he assured me that my nose does not have a bump on it like Laura Linney's and that, in addition, it has a nice ski jump on the end of it. I really liked both of these things that he said, even if he was just saying them because I'd just cried for 2 hours. I lent him my premium copy of Everything is Illuminated.
5. I returned all my David Foster Wallace books to the library, pretty much unread. I'd started The Broom of the System, and it wasn't bad,but suddenly the books were due the next day when I would be at work/unable to return them, and it was a holiday so I couldn't renew them because the library was closed! So I shoved them in the return box. I'll have to get them out again this weekend and actually read them instead of watching TV which happens to be quite viewable from the floor in front of the air vent.
6. I did weights yesterday after a hiatus, and suffered an excruciating pain in my bad knee doing a squat (which of course reminded me why I never ever do squats), which was terrifying because you never know with that bad knee, but it's fine now. I only realized this morning that I also apparently really jacked up my shoulder yesterday too.

OK. My feet are freezing, so that about sums it up. Except that I'd like to mention that I can't wait to see Get Smart when it comes out (definitely not a tearjerker).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was NOT just saying that because you cried for two hours. I told you your nose is adorable, and we are proximal enough now for you to know that my praisings are guileless and true. I think your nose is premium whether you have draining tear ducts or not.

Pam & Steve Johanson said...

I don't understand, what is this thing you call "central heat." We don't have this down here in Miami Beach. I'm jealous of all the fun stuff you are doing, however. Today was a "balmy" high of 72 degrees!