Sunday, October 5, 2008

Halves and Holes

I did the San Jose Rock and Roll half-marathon today! Yay!

My time was super slow (2:10 ish); my goal while training was under 2 hours, but I've developed a heel spur, so I was really happy to finish. And lucky: my support team included a doctor, who diagnosed me, taped me, and brainstormed with me to come up with what ultimately worked: A strategically placed hole that we cut into the ineffective heel cup I'd bought, so that my weight didn't come down so hard on the bone spur. A bone spur doughnut! Effective combo with Judy's awesome (!!) taping job, it turned out, because I was able to run 13.1 miles, when I'd been unable to strike my heel against the ground without intense pain the night before.

Plus, a little help from Wendy, who cut my black toenail completely out of the same foot with a pair of clippers (ewww!). I've got some photos of that operation, but my camera was accidentally left with Wendy, so the visuals will have to wait. I know! I'm disappointed too!

So, I've been ordered to take 800 miligrams of ibuprofen for at least 3 days and stay off of it, and the timing's great because I'm having elbow surgery tomorrow morning (it's now or never - my health insurance coverage only lasts through October), and won't be allowed to work out for a week after that. And I'm sure I'll be taking some anti-inflammatories for the elbow. AND...I could ask for a cortisone shot in the heel while I'm out! But I doubt the hand surgeon would do it, and one invasive procedure at a time please! But maybe I'll mention it....

1 comment:

~ lauren said...

good lord! elbow surgery AND a bone spur!

hope the surgery went well.

and good job on the run!