Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Teleconversation (not) With Amy

Amy called me at work today. Amy's my oldest friend. Not "old" like "senior citizen," but "old" like "we met in kindergarten." Which we did. One of my first memories of Amy involves giant clumps of white hospital tape. She showed up at kindergarten with it stuck to her head in what looked to be random places near her scalp, all entangled in her hair, making quite a little rat's nest of it. I must've gone up to her to ask her what was up with her hair, because I found out that her mom accidentally shut the trunk on her head, or backed over her or something. The details were a bit fuzzy and then I think we had to go learn to spell our names, so I was distracted. But I remember thinking the remedy a bit ineffectual. And I was in kindergarten. But that's neither here nor there. I miss Amy because she's back east, and because our conversations are almost always fleeting due to time zone issues or child distractions, unless I'm having a personal crisis and we block out some time. Today was not a personal crisis day, and the conversation went like this:

Me: Amy Beth!

Amy: HEY. LISTEN.

Me: ......

Amy: I'm just calling to tell you that I can't talk.

Me: OK. Thanks for letting me know. Bye.

Amy: Just listen. I want you to know that I'm AT THE GYM. I have on BOXING GLOVES. And I look really cool. I mean, I look like I know what I'm doing.

Me: That's so great!

Amy: OK, I have to go. You shouldn't talk on cell phones at the gym.
Amy just got into working out. Isn't that so cute?!

No comments: