Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Adventures of a Black Sheep

I should be able to say that I've now biked the Sierras. However, I have been informed, by the former press secretary of the Sierra Club no less, that no matter how many of the Sierras have been climbed (and/or cursed while climbing), it's still singular: The Sierra.

Screw that.

So I survived an entire week of cycling the Sierras and surrounds. Well, really 6 days of cycling, with a rest day thrown into the middle. The rest day consisted of a 5-hour meandering hike/walk around a portion of Lake Tahoe. It felt really good on the legs for the first half. I was a little tired during the second half, so I entertained Morgan and myself with some "watch out for the bear"s muttered to passing hikers. I felt really bad though, when this cute little passing family did a double take, and the cute little dad went, "REALLY?!"

Anyway, back to the cycling. All told, I put 437 miles on my bike in a week, and I climbed 41,400 feet. Wait. How can that be right?! Some of our bikes requested a group shot (see above). Mine is in the foreground.

Some random highlights
(huge thanks to various Black Sheep for all the trip photos, as I was too lame to have a camera):

1. No flats or mechanical malfunctions on my bike whatsoever (both a blessing and a curse, I would dis
cover on day 4, when everybody else was invited to the "let's fix each others' bikes" party in the parking lot). Unless you count the very beginning of the first day, when I so enthusiastically pulled the pump nozzle off my freshly self-pumped tire that half of my tube's stem came with it, thereby compromising the tube and necessitating the first tire removal/tube change of the entire trip, which hadn't even started. I was afraid to touch the pump after that morning, so I enlisted others to pump my tires to 120 psi every single morning thereafter, for 2 very important reasons:

a. Why ride on stale air when you can ride on puffy, fresh air!?! Hullo!

b. My bike mechanic told me that 120 psi would reduce the risk of broken spokes (I didn't have spare spokes because they're all different sizes, and they have to be special ordered, and there was no time).

A certain Head Counse
lor of Camp Blacksheep (www.blacksheepadventures.com), while accommodating, wondered aloud whether I'd been a 300-lb man when I last visited my bike mechanic. Which leads me to believe that this certain Head Counselor may be anti-inflation, or possibly anti-obese transgender. I'm not naming names, but his initials are Fred.

2. Absolutely stunning scenery.








My personal faves: going over a beautiful green suspension bridge (where WAS that and why oh why are there no pho
tos of it?), and Mosquito Lake (also love this rock formation on Ebbetts Pass...and the sky really was that blue!). Though, at one point, I was chatting with Marc during an ascent, and we agreed that it was too bad that it just doesn't matter how damned pretty it is when you're about to arrest.

3. Amazing descents. I hit m
y all-time high speed of 47.3 mph on day 2. Yay!

4. There was foosball in Quincy. And plush terrycloth robes for everyone in the rooms! Why was I the only one to get excited about that?!

5. Judy saw a bear while hiking alone in the wilderness (...wrestled it to the ground, made bear jerky out of it, and gave it to Mark, who was handing it out at the pool
...)

6. Becky and I crossed the street and stumbled carefully into Lake Tahoe immediately after a difficult ride to experience the ice bath effect (my brilliant idea!). Of course we later discovered that the motel pool, which was closer, was just as cold (but not as cool, so there!). Oh, and at one point Becky looked down at her feet and said, "look at the little lobster!" which I deduced later was actually a crawfish. There are crawfish in Lake Tahoe!

7. Tahoe City may be home to the only ice cream sho
p (or non-aircraft structure for that matter) in the world that smells exactly like the inside of an airplane.

8. Gluttony without guilt. On the evening of day 5, I ate a rib eye with the best mashed potatoes I've ever had in my life. And then I ate half of Andrea's rib eye and the remainder of her mashed potatoes. Then, I started chewing my own arm off. Kidding!

9.
We had a party in the breezeway of the Inn at Markleeville, with beers and crushed up gorp that had spent the entire day in someone's pocket, yet was strangely yummy!

10.
The morning after she and Jerry were seen cooing to a bear cub without worrying about a silly thing like its mother possibly being nearby (I may have panicked slightly), Courtenay The Uberrunner ran 18 miles up Ebbetts pass. At altitude, and in the dark, stopping only to write "go fatass" with a rock, her thoughtful prose totally lost on Wendy, who simply didn't see it. Anyway, Grizzly Woman's legs took her where cold hard impenetrable steel could not (her bike had finally sputtered and died on the previous ride -- oh, and it might have been aluminum). She was mauled at the top by a cattleguard.

11. By the end of the ride, I was able to ride no-hands just like Himgan! I haven't been able to do that since I was a kid. Next, I shall learn how to strip off my arm warmers at the same time, like Himgan! Eventually, I shall bring a novel (Breaking Away?) and read it aloud to the group while riding 24 mph against a headwind in the flats. Baby steps.

12. The support v
an totally broke down in the middle of some highway on the last day while we were cycling, so a bunch of us cyclists were corralled (marooned?) at a dinky store in rural Dinkville for a few hours after 50 miles of what was supposed to be the week's longest ride, while the Head Counselor scrambled to get the van back and salvage the day. Yes! This is in the highlights section! Turns out, we had done all of the day's (substantial!) climbing by the time we hit the store, so the ride was effectively over anyway and we didn't have to feel robbed. There was much Mexican beer and rejoicing. Chris, who looks really hot both with and without my lipstick on, led the drinking games. I did not cheat. And I recall being really good at Hearts. Oh and there was arm wrestling!! We cyclists live in the mind. We are sophistoclists.

The HC eventually got the van back, assisted by Mike the CIT (promotion!) and Sarah. A bee had gotten into the air filter and disabled the entire vehicle! Hah! I find this particularly interesting, because on my very first ride (March 17, 2007), I was stung on the tongue by a bee during what I considered at the time to be a rather terrifying descent (I think I was doing, like, 18 mph?). Meddling bees!

OK, so I can only think of one lowlight in the entire trip: It ended.

I'm tres depressed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Blogga please.

Anonymous said...

As the Mayor of Dinkville, I take offence, nay umbrage, at your assumption of airs toward our proud little hamlet just off the beaten path. On behalf of the bee population, who do not have a voice, I also aim my most righteous indignation, like a stinger propelled at the speed of sound with translucent wings never failing, toward you, who would defile the face of a strapping young man with your lipstick. Good day to you Madam! I say GOOD DAY.

Laura said...

Mayor Anonymous:

Who are you REALLY?!

Anonymous said...

I am a mayor who hearts the kind and fair citizens of Dinkville, and guards them, like a she-bear and her cubs, from any offence.